29 September 2023

Release: Afterpay - Redevelopment

afterpay.neocities.org

I'm very excited to be sharing this new net-release by Afterpay, a project with my friend, John Wilton. This was recorded all the way back in 2018. I rediscovered the recording recently and we decided we wanted to put it out there.

I played bass guitar on this recording. For me this was significant as bass was my original instrument but I had put it down for quite a few years in favour of pursuing other instruments and musical approaches.
An important aspect of this music for me was that the bass was in tune and in standard tuning.
While this might seem strange to mention, much of the experimental music I was listening to and playing at the time had eschewed traditional concepts of pitch and so doing so felt somewhat transgressive. On a purely personal level there was an element of satire or humour to the use of this instrument (which at one point I was very adept at playing) in the most normal configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment